Friday, November 8, 2013

Film Friday 3: Warrior

This week's Friday night film was Warrior. I've had this one on my list for a long time. I know the movie received good reviews and Nick Nolte earned an Academy Award nomination. Even with all this hype, the promotional trailers left me worried, which is probably why I waited so long to see it. Warrior is the story of two brothers, one a war hero, the other a school teacher, who find themselves fighting for a five-million dollar purse in a brutal MMA match.

I was wary. The pre-release movie trailers looked slick, the movie had good reviews, but it still seemed that the slightest misstep with this plot would lead straight to cheeseville.

I shouldn't have worried. There turned out to be other plot twists that increased the tension. I thought the acting was superb and the dialogue excellent.

If you just want a lot of MMA, it is probably only a decent movie. On the other hand, if mixed martial arts violence turns your stomach, this show isn't for you. I still recommend taking a chance on Warrior if you are a little squeamish, because the story, acting, and overall package are solid and the execution is great.

I give this one five stars, because my rating scale doesn't go to six.

Thanks for reading this blog. Happy viewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment