Monday, September 30, 2013

Story Engineering: Mastering the 6 Core Competencies of Successful Writing

Story Engineering, by Larry Brooks, is an excellent resource for planning a story in four parts. I'm using the techniques in my work-in-progress and analyzing movies and books I like. (For screenplays it's a three part structure, but the same principles apply.) With Story Engineering in mind, I watched World War Z (a movie that was much better than I had dared hope. Instead of special effects overkill, the movie turned out to be a dramatically told story). The plot points arrived exactly where Mr. Brooks predicted. Interesting.

I had expected Story Engineering to focus on the outlining process, but soon learned that either organic or outlining styles can be used with proper story architecture. Mr. Brooks goes so far as to claim seat-of-the- pants organic writers are doing the same thing with multiple drafts that organizers do with outlines. This book focuses on the mission of each of the four parts. Understand the missions, and the execution of the story can be achieved through outlining or pantsing. Flexibility is a good thing, right?

The only problem I had with Story Engineering was the sales pitch. I quickly grew tired of Mr. Brooks trying to convince me that story structure was important. I bought the book. I was looking for information and techniques on plot and structure. The constant examples and metaphors wore me out unnecessarily.
Don't get me wrong. I highly recommend this book. I just can't give it a five star review. Because the nonessential parts annoyed me.

As I read each chapter, I analyzed my work-in-progress. I was relieved to learn I have been close on some structural components, right on the money other times, and some needed work. Personally, I cherish the revelation of the parts needing work. Might be, I can make them better.

So I got my money's worth (and this is one of the rare, more expensive hard copies I have bought recently).
Story Engineering, by Larry Brooks, is making me a better writer. I can't ask for more.

For more about Larry Brooks and his work, visit his web site: http://storyfix.com/books-by-brooks

I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Brooks, and paid regular price a book store for this one.

3 comments:

  1. We have very similar taste in writing books! Some of my favorites include "Writing the Breakout Novel" (I've read it twice), "Story Engineering" (read this twice too), and "Blueprint Your Bestseller" (I'm currently co-authoring a chapter with Hortwitz for his second book). Stephen King's book is also a fun read but he has a very different writing style than me (I'm about as far away from a plotter as you can possibly get). I've done an in-depth analysis of both Brooks' story structure and Horwitz's book architecture method at writelikerowling.com. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean pantser, not plotter. I am both a plotter and a plodder when it comes to writing!

      Delete
    2. Those are all great books. Thanks for your comment. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm going to writelikewrowling.com now!

      Delete